Department Benefits Counselors and Human Resource Managers (DBCs & DHRMs)
This section of the HR website is for Department Benefits Counselors (DBCs) and Department Human Resources Managers (DHRMs) – those of you who administer benefits to the faculty and staff in your department(s).
This section mirrors the Eligibility, Employment Events, and Life Events sections that are directed toward faculty and staff employees. In this section, you will find instructions for department benefits administrators on how to handle eligibility, employment and life events situations.
If you are not sure how to handle a situation or need more information than these processes provide, please contact the HR Benefits Unit according to our functional list of assignments. If you are unsure who to call, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the reception desk at (510) 642-7053.
These processes are for you. If you find situations that are not covered by the processes or where a process is unclear, please contact the Benefits Manager.
Role of the Department Benefits Counselor (DBC)
- Be knowledgeable of the benefits information on the At Your Service website
- Be familiar with the processes available to them on this website
- Understand eligibility rules, benefits packages, and enrollment/change/cancel procedures.
- Provides front-line benefits information and guidance to new and continuing employees
- Helps employees through the enrollment/change/cancel process,
- Assists management in communicating benefits options throughout the employment life cycle.
While it is not appropriate for DBCs to make decisions about benefits for or take action on behalf of employees, they can help by referring employees to the resources that are available. DBCs work closely with Human Resources Benefits staff who provide guidance and training as well as information, by phone, email, workshops, and the HR website.
Join the Email list
If your responsibilities include acting as DBC for your department, and you'd like to be added to Human Resources' email list for DBCs, please contact the Benefits Unit (email@example.com or 643-7547) with the following information:
Home department code:
Department mailing address:
Are you replacing someone else? If so, please provide that person's name.