These workshops are sponsored by the Human Resources Benefits Unit and are open only to Berkeley campus employees.
Retiring From UC - Workshop
This workshop provides an overview of benefits paid by the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP). UCRP benefits include lifetime monthly retirement income, disability benefits, survivor income and death benefits. Learn about tools to use in your retirement planning, and steps during the retirement process.
In addition, this workshop describes the retiree health benefits, explains how a retiree’s medical plan coordinates with Medicare, identifies issues to consider when selecting a plan, and explains the steps necessary to take with UC, Medicare, and your health plan to successfully enroll in Medicare and coordinate with your UC retiree medical plan.
To enroll in this workshop, or to check the workshop schedule, login to the BLU web portal, click on UC Learning Center, find the UC Essentials category, and click on "Benefits."
All workshops will be held in Room 150 University Hall unless otherwise noted; seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Retirement Readiness Education Program - Fidelity Retirement Services
UC is sponsoring several retirement education workshops conducted by Fidelity Retirement Services to help employees learn about investing for retirement and the steps they can take to help ensure retirement readiness. The schedule for all workshops can be found on the At Your Service website. The workshops include:
- Accessing Your Account Online: Learn how to navigate NetBenefits and about the tools available on the site.
- Building a Portfolio for Any Weather: This class explains the role of asset allocation and diversification when you are choosing investments for your UC Retirement Savings Program accounts. After the class, you should be able to recognize the characteristics of the three asset classes, identify an appropriate target asset mix based on your situation, and understand how and when to adjust your mix.
- Designing a Financial Roadmap: This class teaches you how to build a financial roadmap that can help you navigate all your savings needs. You'll learn how to plan for retirement while establishing non-retirement goals and savings options. You'll also review ways to protect your assets.
- Establishing and Maintaining an Estate Plan: This class will help you understand key tools for estate planning. You’ll learn the importance of preparing an estate plan and be able to recognize the benefits of planning and the dangers of waiting. You’ll also learn about tools and resources that can help you take the next step.
- Getting on the Right Path with Your UC Savings Plans: This class is designed to help you make the most of your UC Retirement Savings Program: the 403(b), 457(b) and DC plans. You will learn the benefits of joining your retirement savings plan, why it’s important to save for retirement, and how to get started. After you complete the class, you should be able to determine your workplace savings needs, enroll in the 403(b) and 457(b) plans, and make your initial investment elections.
- Preserving your Savings for Future Generations: This class will help you understand key tools for estate planning. You’ll also learn about strategies for gifting and insurance replacement, see what you need to consider when you’re designating your beneficiaries, and get tools and resources that can help you take the next step.
- Preparing your Savings for Retirement: This class will help you identify and understand your sources of income, including Social Security. During the class, you’ll learn about the effect of future health care costs in retirement. At the end of the class, you’ll be better equipped to evaluate your retirement income and expenses, and develop strategies to fill the gap.
- Quarterly Market Perspective: Have a better understanding of current market trends, review the most recent quarter's market performance, discuss economic trends.
- Remaining Confident in a Challenging Market: How market conditions affect investment performance and how to put market events in perspective.
- Shifting from Savings to Spending: This class will help you understand the importance of asset allocation in retirement and identify the elements you need to build your investment strategy. You’ll also learn about portfolio withdrawal rates and strategies for turning your retirement assets into income.
- Understanding the Power of Debt: In this class, you will learn about types of debt, good and bad. You’ll get tips for boosting your credit rating and ways to whittle down your debt. After the class, you will be better equipped to improve your financial situation.
- Your College Savings Options: This class teaches you about the important steps to take when beginning to save for a child’s college education. You’ll get an overview of several of the financial vehicles available for college savings, learn general planning guidelines to prepare for future college financing needs, and see tools and resources that can help you.
- Women and Investing: For many women, planning for retirement brings special challenges. Why? Because women tend to live longer, save less, and not be as engaged as men when it comes to retirement and financial planning. But women who take an active role in their finances can overcome the odds. This class is designed to give you the jump start you need to save and invest with confidence.
- Your UC Retirement System: This class will introduce you to your UC Retirement System—the UC Retirement Plan (UCRP) and the UC Retirement Savings Program (your UC 403(b), 457(b) and DC Plans). After the class, you’ll have a better understanding of how the programs work together to help you build a more secure financial future.
Retirement Readiness Department Workshops - Fidelity Retirement Services
UC has hired Fidelity Retirement Services to develop and implement a financial education program for employees (PDF). Fidelity is available to bring 60-minute workshops to your department.