[collapse all] [expand all]
Click on the appropriate item for more information.
Definition & Criteria
Recognition Awards (non-cash, up to $75 in value) are for specific contributions to the departmental mission or strategic plan. Recognition Awards are in the form of non-negotiable gift cards, certificates, plaques, or a range of preselected items of limited monetary value. Non-cash awards are limited to up to $75 in value.
Employees eligible for non-cash Recognition Awards must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Employee on the Berkeley campus below the SMG level.
- Appointment type is one of the following: Career, Partial-Year Career, Limited, Casual Restricted (student employees), Per Diem, or Contract, where eligibility is incorporated into the terms of the contract.
- On pay status at the time of payout.
Timing and Amount Limits
- Non-Cash Awards may be awarded at any time during a fiscal year to eligible employees.
- Non-Cash Awards should be processed as soon as possible after the completion of the project or task.
- Receipt of a non-cash award does not count toward the $1000 limit per employee per fiscal year.
Below are some ideas for non-cash Recognition Awards and Award Programs:
Non-negotiable gift certificates (worth $75 or less), including:
- Restaurant certificates
- Merchandise (e.g., department store)
- Entertainment venue (e.g., theater or cinema)
- Department recognition plaques, certificates, or personalized articles (e.g., coffee mug entitled "Best Employee of the Year")
- Peer (co-worker) recognition programs, with plaques, certificates, or personalized articles
- Employee taken out to lunch by manager