Spot Awards are designed to recognize special contributions, as they occur, for a specific project or task. Spot Awards are generally for a special contribution accomplished over a relatively short time period. A Spot Award lets employees know that someone has noticed their noteworthy contribution. At the same time, it recognizes and reinforces the behaviors and values that are important at UC Berkeley.
[collapse all] [expand all]
Whatever the contribution that is being recognized, at either the Spot or Achievement Award level, it should reflect at least one of the Operating Principles:
We include and excel, together
We cultivate trust, treat one another with respect and assume good intentions. We actively include different perspectives and work cooperatively within and across departments. We thrive when we celebrate the diversity in our community and our common commitment to equity, inclusion and equal access to all.
We imagine and innovate
We develop sustainable solutions that help us meet campus goals. We are willing to take intelligent risks, make mistakes, and learn from our experience.
We reduce unnecessary steps and make it easier to get things done. Our solutions are common where they can be, custom where it counts.
We are accountable to each other
We measure supervisor, individual and team performance, make transparent decisions, and follow through on our commitments. We recognize excellence, and give and receive constructive feedback at all levels to help us improve.
We focus on service
We provide timely, excellent service to students, staff, faculty, alumni and other stakeholders. We emphasize service over bureaucracy whenever possible.
- PPSM (PSS or MSP) or an employee in the Clerical (CX) bargaining unit in one of the following appointment types:
- Partial-Year Career
- Contract (where eligibility is incorporated into the terms of the contract)
- Casual Restricted (student employees)
- Per Diem
- Have successfully completed their probationary period, if applicable;
- Are on active pay status or on an approved unpaid leave; and,
Received a “meets expectations” or better overall rating on their most recent annual performance evaluation (PPSM 23 requires that written performance evaluations be completed annually).
Employees who have not yet received an annual performance evaluation may be eligible for an award if their manager confirms on the nomination form that they are "meeting expectations."
- An employee may not receive an award under the STAR Plan if the employee is a participant in an incentive award plan that prohibits the receipt of a recognition award.
- An employee's receipt of an award under the STAR Plan does not establish any right or guarantee that the employee will be eligible for or entitled to an award in any subsequent Plan year.
- Senior Management Group (SMG) members are not eligible for awards.
- Exclusively represented employees are eligible for recognition awards under the Plan only if the applicable collective bargaining agreement authorizes participation in the STAR Plan.
Timing & Amount
The assigned Description of Service (DOS) code XSL, specific to the STAR Plan, must be used when paying awards to employees.
Nominations will be accepted throughout the fiscal year. Nominations should generally be submitted within three months of the accomplishment.
- The signatures of the supervisor and next level manager on the Berkeley STAR Nomination Form represent an endorsement of the nomination.
- Completed nomination forms should be submitted to the Recognition Award Administrator (for the nominated employee’s unit) to review for eligibility.
- The decision maker(s) designated by the Dean and VC have approval authority for Spot awards.
Following the decision, the Recognition Award Administrator notifies the nominator that the award nomination:
- is approved
- is denied
- If the award is approved, the Recognition Award Administrator provides an award letter template and a certificate to the nominee’s supervisor to be presented to the recipient. A one-time payment should be processed via OPTRS to be paid the following month. It is recommended that the Spot Award be paid to employees via direct deposit. The Recognition Award Administrator and supervisor should ensure that communication to the employee is coordinated so the recipient is informed of the award before it is deposited to their bank account.
- Awardees receive an award letter, a certificate, and the $500 award (less taxes) in an upcoming direct deposit. These documents should be presented to the employee at the same time.