Reduced Fee Enrollment Program
[collapse all] [expand all]
You are eligible if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be a career status UC employee (from any UC campus or lab) and work 50% time or greater
- You must have passed your employee probationary period before the semester begins
- You are admitted to UC Berkeley as a graduate or undergraduate
Covered University Programs
Most Berkeley campus undergraduate, graduate, and MBA programs. Some self-funded and professional programs may not be covered; applicants are advised to check with the program.
The policy does not apply to the following programs: UC Berkeley Extension, Boalt School of Law, summer session classes, The Berkeley-Columbia Executive MBA Program, The Evening & Weekend MBA Program, Masters in Public Health (online program), Masters of Information and Data Science Program (MIDS), or the Masters in Financial Engineering programs. (However, staff can receive a 10% discount on one course per term at UC Berkeley Extension; For more information about UC Extension discounts or application click here.)
Class/Unit Maximum/Registration Deadline
Each semester you are eligible, you receive a two-thirds (2/3) reduction off the registration and educational fees.
Questions and Answers
Is there a limit to the number of semesters employees can take advantage of this program?
No. You may receive a reduction for each semester that you are eligible.
Is release time covered by this program?
No. Release time, if necessary, must be negotiated between you and your supervisor.
What do I need to do to participate in this program?
- If you are not already enrolled as a student, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission or Graduate Division Admission for University application procedures.
- After receiving confirmation of your admission, fill out the Reduced Fee Enrollment Form (PDF).
- Email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (2-2888) or mail the application to Human Resources, 2199 Addison St., Room 192 (University Hall), Berkeley, CA 94720-3540 no later than the first 5 weeks of the new semester. Retroactive applications will not be processed.
- HR will verify your eligibility and forward the authorization to Student Accounting for the fee reduction.
Note: Once you are accepted into the program, you are responsible for submitting an application for each eligible semester in which you are enrolled.
Are there other ways to take classes on the Berkeley campus?
Yes. Contact University Extension for information on the Concurrent Enrollment Program (642-4111). The program allows you to take regular semester courses without having to go through the formal Berkeley campus admissions procedures. (Note: any fees associated are NOT covered under the Fee Reduction Program.)