HCM: HCM Data in PPS
The following actions create new appointments in PPS:
Any action that creates an appointment in PPS must always be sequence zero (0) for that effective date in order for the interface to correctly build the PPS record.
- If you attempt to insert a row for the same effective date that creates an appointment, HCM issues an error message and will not allow the transaction to save.
The following Actions create new appointments in PPS:
- Data Change – APD, APT,CST, LVC, RPT, TCC, & TYR reasons (Appointment End Date earlier, Appointment Type, Change Status, Leave Code, Renewal/Reappointment, Time Code Change, and Terminal Year Appointment)
- Hire - all reasons
- Job Reclassification - all reasons
- Demotion - all reasons
- Promotion - all reasons
- Rehire - all reasons
- Transfer - all reasons
- NOTE: Data Change-Correction and Data Change-Percentage Time Change do NOT create new appointments in PPS.
Some differences between HCM and PPS are:
- A Job in HCM is called an Appointment in PPS (Payroll System)
- A Job Code in HCM is called a Title Code in PPS.
- An Earnings Code in HCM is called a DOS Code in PPS.
- In HCM, if Employment Duration is "I" (Indefinite), End Date is blank. In PPS, an indefinite appointment or distribution End Date is "99/99/99."
- In HCM, a person is Terminated when they end employment, in PPS this is called a Separation.
- In HCM, staff title codes have a "C" at the end, if they are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, and a "U," if they are uncovered. Academic title codes do not have a code at the end unless they are covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- In HCM, Appointment Type 5 (PPS) is split into three new appointment types for Academics in HCM: X-Faculty (used for teaching titles), Y-Academic Non-Faculty (used for research titles), and Z-Academic Student (used for Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) or Instructor (GSI) job titles).
If Direct Deposit is not updated when an employee is hired or rehired:
If neither the HCM administrator or the employee update Direct Deposit (Direct Deposit) with the bank information and employee account number, the employee's paycheck will be mailed to the Home Department.
REHIRE NOTE: HCM may display what looks like "active" direct deposit for former employees, but that information is no longer in PPS. The HCM administrator needs to add a new row when someone is rehired, or explain to the employee that it needs to be re-established.