ARTICLE 18 - Holidays
The following holidays will be observed on the calendar day on which each falls, except that a holiday falling on Sunday will be observed on the following Monday and a holiday falling on Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday unless an alternate date is announced by the University, after discussion with the Union:
- New Year's Day
- The third Monday in January
- The last Monday in May
- The Fourth of July, Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Cesar Chavez Day (The parties agree that Veteran's Day and Cesar Chavez Day (formerly the Spring Administrative Holiday) will be recognized as paid holidays. There are no floating holidays.)
- The following days will be observed as holidays on the dates shown or an alternate date agreed to in advance by the parties, except that a holiday falling on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday and a holiday falling on Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday unless an alternate date is announced: The third Monday in February, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day, December 24, and December 31.
- An employee may observe a special religious holiday provided that the University determines that work schedules permit and that the time off is charged to vacation or is without pay
- The following holidays will be observed on the calendar day on which each falls, except that a holiday falling on Sunday will be observed on the following Monday and a holiday falling on Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday unless an alternate date is announced by the University, after discussion with the Union:
- The holiday shall be the consecutive twenty-four (24) hour period starting with the employee's regular starting time on the calendar day on which the holiday is observed.
- Holiday pay is the regular pay at the straight time rate provided for the day declared a holiday.
ELIGIBILITY FOR HOLIDAY PAY
- Only employees on pay status for at least one-half (½) time of the working hours of a month are eligible for holiday pay. In addition, to be eligible for holiday pay an employee must have been at work as scheduled for a full shift or on a scheduled authorized absence with pay on the employee's last scheduled work day before the holiday and first scheduled work day after the holiday.
- No employee shall receive holiday pay for a holiday which is immediately preceded by or followed by an unscheduled and unauthorized absence, or a disciplinary suspension. Employees who have unscheduled absences due to illness on the day preceding or following a holiday shall bring a medical verification of illness to the employee's supervisor on the employee's return to work in order for the absence to be authorized.
PAYMENT OF HOLIDAY PAY
- A full time employee who does not work due to the holiday shall receive a full shift of holiday pay. A part-time employee who is on pay status between fifty (50) and seventy-five percent (75%) of full time shall receive seventy-five percent (75%) proportionate holiday pay. A part-time employee who is on pay status for between seventy-six (76) and one hundred percent (100%) of full time shall receive one hundred percent (100%) holiday pay.
- An employee who works on a holiday shall receive appropriate holiday pay and shall also receive double time pay for the hours actually worked on the declared holiday.
- An employee whose regular day off falls on a holiday shall receive appropriate holiday pay or another day off at the option of the University. The decision made by the University shall be final and not subject to the Grievance or Arbitration Procedures set forth in this Agreement.
- An employee who fails to report on a holiday when scheduled shall not receive holiday pay unless the employee's failure to work is excused because of (1) personal sickness or injury as provided in Article 21, Sick Leave, or (2) other extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the employee which cannot be corrected in time for the employee to meet the employee's employment obligation.