Self-Assessment: Role Fit
Take stock of the current role you have at Cal. Answer the following questions to help gather your thoughts as you begin to explore where you are and where you want to be in your career. Write down your responses to these questions and date it. Periodically come back to answer these questions and save each set of answers. Over time you will have a good record of the change in your thinking about your overall career development.
- What do I like about my current role?
- What makes me feel unique in this organization?
- Which of my abilities, interests, and/or values does my current role allow me to express on a regular basis?
- What are the challenges of my role?
- Which of my abilities, interests, and/or values would I like to be able to express more in my work?
- What occupational fields do I feel most drawn toward?
- What work environments do I enjoy the most?
- What kinds of people do I most enjoy working with? Why do I feel this way?
- At this point, do I feel attracted to a leadership (supervisory or managerial) role? Why?
- What steps can I take to gain clarity as I answer these questions?