COrWE: UC Systemwide Business Officer Institute (BOI)
The Business Officer Institute, sponsored by the UC Office of the President, was established in recognition of the critical role business officers hold in a rapidly changing business environment characterized by localized decision-making authority, increased regulatory interest and oversight, emphasis on risk-taking and innovation and ever greater complexity. Visit the UCOP BOI website for in-depth program details.
[collapse all] [expand all]
What is a Business Officer?
A "Business Officer" has broad responsibility for the administrative functions in either an academic or administrative department; including responsibility for the key areas of budget/finance and human resources.
- To establish the Business Officer's role as an officer of the UC system
- To communicate expectations for business conduct across all locations
- To communicate high level operating principles, policies, expectations for local practices
- To address resources available to Business Officers
BOI Main Themes
- Leadership and Stewardship
- Ethical Decision Making
- Fiduciary Responsibility
- Internal Controls
BOI Topic Areas
- Budget & Finance: Budget Planning; Financial Management; Tax Issues; Sponsored Projects; The role of the Controller
- Audit: Internal Controls; Fraud; Waste & Abuse
- Human Resources: Employee Relations; Liability Claims & Risk Management; Legal Issues
- Information Technology
Topics include both presentation and team exercises, and address current key management issues.
The Institute's "Faculty" includes senior managers from the Office of the President, campuses, and medical centers; UC faculty and consultants. Facilitators are drawn from past participants in the program and include Business Officers and staff from UC campus Training and Development offices.
BOI 2011 Institute
Date:November – December 2011
Read more about the Institute
Registration: Nomination by your Manager/Control Unit. Please contact your Control Unit Administrator (see below) for details.
BOI is intended for individuals who have broad decision-making and/or supervisory responsibility for the administrative functions of either an academic or administrative department or have responsibility for key areas of Budget, Finance, Internal Controls, Human Resources, Information Technology and/or Sponsored Projects. We are looking for a balanced representation from across the campus. Staff in both academic and administrative units will benefit from participation in the institute.
To nominate an individual for participation in the BOI, please send the following information to your Control Unit Administrator listed below.
- Participant Name
- Title/title code
- Department type (administrative or academic)
- e-mail address
- Supervisor name and e-mail address
- Nominated by (name, e-mail address)
|Chancellor's Office||Steve Garber||643-7146|
|Administration||Laura Van Nostrand||643-0680|
|EVCP, Division of Undergraduate Education||Jeanene Greer/Lynn Geske-Morgan||643-0236/642-9573|
|Facilities Services||Pam Sutherland||643-7384|
|Student Affairs, Lawrence Hall of Science||Gary Lee||643-2110|
|University Relations||Dina Sanders||643-9172|
|Research Division||Anne Benker||642-8159|