Getting Started as a New Employee
Checklist for new employees:
We encourage you to find out about your job and the campus during your first few weeks. Ask your supervisor or Department Benefits Counselor about the items below.
- Obtain a benefits packet and find out the deadline for signing up for benefits from your Department Benefits Counselor, and make sure you meet the deadline.
- View the Ethics and Conflict of Interest Briefings for New Employees.
- Attend the campus New Employee Orientation (for nonacademic staff) or find out how your department orients academic employees.
- Obtain your Cal 1 Card (UC Berkeley ID card).
- Get a description of your job, a copy of your classification specifications, and your working title.
- Find out about your department's organization chart and the mission of your department.
- With your supervisor: discuss your probationary period, what's expected; performance evaluations during probation and beyond; the department's training plan for you during your probationary period.
- Find out what union contract or University policy covers your position; obtain and read a copy of the contract or policy. Ask about your "fair share contribution" to your union, if applicable.
- Learn about work schedules, call-in procedures in case of tardiness or absence, use of vacation and sick leave, completing time sheets, pay schedules, and work rules in your department.
- Get an orientation to safety, emergency procedures, evacuation procedures, location of fire extinguishers, work hazards.
- Learn about communicating within your department; how to find out information about the University. Discuss appropriate formats and avenues of communication within your unit. Ask where to get your questions answered. For instance, ask your supervisor how to find out about the items on this checklist.
- Take a campus tour from Visitor Services.